viernes, 15 de enero de 2010

Un cuento en Enero

El Manana

 

“There, they say, you can earn enough for tomorrow. That’s why people migrate.  To get ahead.”

                                                          -(Un/a Migrante-Border Film Project)

 

If Benito Juarez, being Indian, a pure Indian from Oaxaca did it, then us too can make it, Luisito can aspire for something better. 

 

Luis took that picture of us in front of the Juarez statue in the parquecito del centro.  He took the bus to Naco last night; phoned this morning.  They are crossing the desert at dusk.  I pray he makes it. I am not a devote Catholic, but just in case, I’ve been holding a rosary.  I don’t even know any prayers, but caressing it gives me comfort, feeling the smoothness and the perfect way in which they are round give me the strength I usually lack.

 

His brother has a job for him in a hotel in Las Vegas, and if all goes well he will send money for us to cross too and join him in a year or two, who knows, maybe even sooner.  I am optimistic; it’s the only way out, I think, I can’t be otherwise.

 

We met three years ago, here in Naco, in the maquila.  And now our son is almost a year.  Between the two, we finally saved enough for our chance north.

 

 

 

 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario